Applications for FY24 are open now and due no later than 12:00pm ET on Monday, January 29, 2024. The FY24 eligibility requirements are below. Please note that these are subject to change for future offerings.
Applications are complete when all questions have been answered and an approval form, signed by your immediate supervisor and IC Director, is submitted to COSWDevents@nih.gov.
Application link: Scholar application
Scholar Eligibility and Expectations
- Hired into the NIH extramural research program as a Program Officer/Director or Scientific Review Officer within the past three years at the time of applying.
- Have a position in the NIH extramural research program below that of Institute/Center/Division Director.
- A limit of 16 participants will be chosen for the FY24 program cohort.
- Participants will devote up to 8 hours per month to program activities.
- Training and skills related to scientific workforce diversity issues.
- Personal and pod-based mentoring.
- Financial support to attend meetings and enhance personal development.
- Integration into the NIH-wide DEIA network and exposure to other networks.
- Recognition throughout NIH for knowledge and commitment to advancing scientific workforce diversity.
Mentor Eligibility and Expectations
- Experienced NIH scientific extramural staff with a commitment to mentoring around DEIA and professional development.
- A limit of approximately five mentors will be chosen for the FY24 program cohort.
- Mentors will devote at least four hours per month to program activities.
- Monthly meetings with an assigned pod of 3-4 participants to explore themes and challenges related to scientific workforce diversity.
- Sharing practical skills with mentees, such as negotiating the formal and informal networks necessary to advance within extramural spaces.
- Financial support to attend meetings or enhance personal development.
- Recognition throughout NIH for a willingness and ability to help build a larger community around scientific workforce diversity.